Job Hunting During COVID-19? Here's our advice
Whether you're newly out of work or have been job hunting for a while, the COVID-19 pandemic has meant some big changes in the industry. These are uncertain times but here's our best advice for navigating the changes.
Uncertain Job Market
The job market changed with lightning speed in the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic. With the massive impact on the Hospitality, Tourism and Travel sector, we've gone from a candidate scarce recruitment industry to a candidate rich one. From speaking with our clients, we know there's been job losses already and while the Government subsidy has kept many people employed, we also know that many people are uncertain of their future job security.
Aside from a small amount of essential service recruitment, we've seen the Hospitality, Travel and Tourism industries slow right down. What we're expecting is a smaller market when restrictions ease, so there'll be more competition amongst candidates for fewer vacancies.
What can you do?
So our advice is to prepare now. When the Alert Level changes, the recruitment market will move fast so be ready!
- Use your time in self isolation to update your resume
- Talk to and confirm your potential referees and get their contact details ready to go, including mobile and email address
- Send an updated resume to us
- Sign up for job alerts and/or keep an eye on job forums
- Be professional in your interactions with both potential employers and recruiters
- Present yourself professionally when offered an interview